William F. Eichhorn, Post 1

I spent my day researching at the Syracuse, New York library and on Ancestry.com.  I was hoping to find more information on my Eichhorn/Eichorn/Eckorn line.  In particular, I wanted to find information on the parents of my gg-grandfather William Fred Eichhorn.

Information I had prior to today:

1. William Fred Eichhorn was born 22 June 1874 in Chippewa, Welland, Ontario, Canada.  According to his birth registration his parents are Herman Eckorn and Catherine Wise.

Welland, Ontario, "Registrations of Births and Stillbirths - 1869-1909," Schedule A - Births, p. 279, Number 023918, Wm F Echorn; digital image, The Generations Network, Inc., "Ontario, Canada Births, 1869-1909, Roll Number: MS929_18," Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: Aug 2008). 

2. He was enumerated as Wm Eichorn in the 1880 census in Niagara County, New York with parents "Chas." and "Cath." and brothers "Fred" and "Geo." by an obviously lazy census taker...  This raised two questions for me: Was Catherine widowed and marry a relative of Herman (it has happened in other branches of my family)?  Would parents name one child William Fred and another Fred?  



1880 U.S. census, Niagara County, New York population schedule, Town of Niagara, enumeration district (ED) 187, p. 21, family 153, Wm Eichorn; digital images, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed Aug 2008); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T9.  

3. William married Augusta Tross approximate in 1899 in Buffalo, Erie, New York.  I hope to find the record in the microfilm located in Buffalo Library when I visit family there next Friday.

5.  He is listed in the 1900, 1910, 1920 and 1930 census' with Augusta and their six children:
Kathryn V., Clara, Marie A., Edna L., Lillian L. and William T.

6.  His WWI draft card lists Augusta as his nearest relative.  He is also listed as a clerk with the Erie railroad.

"World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918," database and images, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed Aug 2008), William Fred Eichhorn; citing name of registration card.  

7.  William died 9 Mar 1931 in Buffalo, Erie, New York and a death certificate is on order for him.  He did not have a will, but I do have his probate packet.  He is buried in Acacia Park & Resthaven Cemetery, North Tonawanda, Niagara, New York.


My next post will detail what I found today, as well as what I plan to research further.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

GRIP, Take 4

Motivational Monday: Conferences