Friday, February 13, 2009

William T. Eichorn on Footnote.com

Footnote.com is currently offering a one-week free trial, which I signed up for today (so much for no research until my sources are in order in Legacy).  This is not a site I have had luck with previously, as my ancestors have not been in the US long enough for most of the files and are in the wrong state (New York) for those of the right time period.

While I still have not found anything on my direct ancestors, outside of SSDI pages, I did make a discovery today!  My great-granduncle William T. Eichorn (Eichhorn) had a WWII army enlistment record page.  This sent me to http://aad.archives.gov for his Electronic Army Serial Number Merged Record, which is a new database for me.  

It has him enlisting  12 Feb 1943 in Buffalo, Erie, NY as a private in the army.  He was born in 1914 in New York, completed 4 years of high school, is a semiskilled routeman and is divorced without dependents.

I previously have William T. Eichhorn in the 1930 census with his father William F., mother Augusta and sister Edna, along with his brother-in-law Friendly Amidon, sister Clara, niece Phyllis C. and nephew John F.  He was 15, born in New York and a student.


He is also listed on his father, William F. Eichhorn's will as William T. Eichhorn, Son, 17 yrs., residing in Buffalo, N.Y.

According to the SSDI he was born 10 Apr 1914 and died in 1983 in Buffalo, Erie, NY.

My to-do list for William:
  1. Research WWII army records, as I have not previously used them.
  2. Check NY vital records index for birth and marriage data and request certificates.
  3. Check will and probate files next time I am in Buffalo.
  4. Check Buffalo News for death notice/obituary.
  5. Hopefully, these will list cemetery of burial and I can find his tomb stone.
Sources:
The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration, "Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)," database, The National Archives (http://www.archives.gov : accessed 13 Feb 2009), William T. Eichorn; citing World War II Army Enlistment Records, created 6/1/2002 - 9/30/2002, documenting the period ca. 1938 - 1946.  

1930 U.S. census, Erie County, New York population schedule, Buffalo City, enumeration district (ED) 15-174, sheet 11A, dwelling 154, family 254, William T. Eichhorn; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed Aug 2008); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T626.

Buffalo, New York, Letters of Admisistration, William F. Eichhorn, filed 5 Jun 1931; Surrogate's Court, Erie County, Buffalo. 

Social Security Administration, "Secian Security Death Index," database, Rootsweb (http://www.rootsweb.com : accessed 24 Jan 2009), entry for William Eichorn, 1983, SS no. 070-07-1875.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

52 Ancestors: Angela Rosa Palmiero

Amy Johnson Crow at  No Story Too Small  began the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge in 2014.  I am playing along this year.  I wi...