Friday, March 27, 2009

Cemetery Difficulties

I have been visiting a lot of cemeteries in Onondaga county, NY for ROAGK.  Some have been well kept up, but others are very sad to visit.  I went to one that was in awful shape.  It had been a private cemetery, but was recently taken over by the town it is in, after many years of discussion on what to do with it.  There are very old stones, from the early part of the nineteenth century, many of which have had the information eroded away.  The worst part is all the stones that have been broken or knocked down.  I wish I had more time and could go transcribe all these little cemeteries to save the information for others.  Hopefully someone in the Syracuse area will do this soon, before even more information is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

52 Ancestors: Angela Rosa Palmiero

Amy Johnson Crow at  No Story Too Small  began the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge in 2014.  I am playing along this year.  I wi...