I got into Grad School and other stories...

It has been quite some time since I've posted an entry:-(  My boyfriend and I kept passing some illness back and forth for the past few weeks (the joys of living together).  We appear well again, so I'm back:-)

First, my exciting news that I got into grad school for my Masters in Library and Information Science (MLIS)!  I am quite excited, if a bit overwhelmed, by this news.  It is one of the best programs in the country and offers a lot of archival and special collections classes, which I am looking forward too.

I have been trying to catch up on all of my Random Acts of Genealogical Kindess (ROAGK) that I received while we had about 3 feet of snow here.  I love doing this for people, as I get to see new cemeteries, with really interesting stones.  It is also nicebecause my boyfriend goes with me, which in a large section makes finding the stone much faster.  I was telling a friend about it and she wants to start going too, as she thinks cemeteries are fascinating.

One of the most rewarding parts of being a RAOGK volunteer has been the people who work in the cemetery offices.  I always had good luck when trying to find my relatives in cemeteries, often because the workers there were so amazed at seeing such a young person interested in their family history.  This still works to my advantage...  At the most recent cemetery I went to, the woman in the office copied the lot book, the file cards and the obituaries she had for me to give to the requester.  She thought they would like to have them.  She was the most friendly and helpful person I have met in a long time and thought ROAGK was a wonderful idea.

In other news, I have a Geni website and through it my family is going crazy over our history.  They are obsessed with the site and the information I have found and are helping me find new relatives and identify photographs.  I even was found by a third-cousin on Ancestry who also had a Geni site and we have now merged them and are working on the tree together.  It is such a fabulous way to get people interested.  The site does have some downsides, in my opinion, but I am working on getting around them and all in all it seems great to get the family together.  The only complaint they have given me is that it takes away from their facebook time;-)

Enough updates for now, I'll be posting the research I have done recently in the next few days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

GRIP, Take 4

Motivational Monday: Conferences