Thursday, April 9, 2009

Cemetery Findings - Forest Lawn

Forest Lawn Cemetery in Buffalo, NY is a huge, beautiful cemetery.  Founded in 1849, according to their website, it is well known for people such as President Millard Fillmore and Red Jacket being buried there.  According to my grandmother, it was where everyone who lived in Buffalo was buried.  Her parents, William Herbert and Vera Julia (Gress) Whitehead are in the Chapel and on Monday we got assurance that three other ancestors are also there.

While home for my cousin's daughter's christening Sunday I was able to add another day to visit Forest Lawn.  According to the pedigree resource file, my ancestors Adam Fleeman and Jacob & Barbara Fleeman Fink were buried there.  My grandmother also found out her grandmother Elizabeth Fink Gress is buried there.  I was hopeful that Adam's wife Barbara, Barbara's husband Gottlieb and Elizabeth's husband Jacob would also be located there.

Adam, Barbara and Elizabeth were indeed there, but where, of where, are their spouses?  Luckily, I will have two of the death certificates soon, so I can find them.  It was rather amazing that they were in three consecutive sections, which made life rather easy.  Also interesting as Barbara is Adam's daughter and Elizabeth is Barbara's daughter.  We will be going back soon, hopefully when it's not raining, as we were unable to find Elizabeth's grave site.  I will save photo's of the other two for future Tombstone Tuesdays.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

52 Ancestors: Angela Rosa Palmiero

Amy Johnson Crow at  No Story Too Small  began the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge in 2014.  I am playing along this year.  I wi...