The Story of Me

My parents were high school sweethearts. Apparently my father liked a dress my mother was wearing and then they took a class together and started dating. She was a freshman and he was a sophomore. It also didn't hurt that my mom's best friend was my dad's sister, so it was easy for them to meet.

After my mom got her associates degree my parents married. It was 5 September 1980, my mom was 20 and my dad 21. About five months later my mom was pregnant with me.

I was due on Thanksgiving and the story goes that my great aunt Marilyn wanted me named Tom Turkey if I was a boy (this is the same aunt that later convinced one of my cousins that my aunt was pregnant with a mouse, a la Stuart Little). I ended up not coming on Thanksgiving, or the week after, and the doctors had decided to come get me on 10 December. Even in the womb I didn't like being told what to do, so I decided to make my entrance on the 9th instead.

According to my father, while driving to the hospital he stopped at Ted's (a fantastic hot dog restaurant in Buffalo, NY) and grabbed a hot dog. My mother doesn't recall this, although she said it is possible...

I came out screaming (and haven't been quiet since) and received a 9+ out of 10 on my tests (always the high achiever:-)). As you can see from the picture, I was also completely adorable.

As the first grandchild on both sides, my parents wanted to honor my grandmothers with my name. Both grandmothers said no to their first names (Marlyn and Agnes) and one to her middle name as well (Loretta). Therefore, my middle name became Elizabeth, my paternal grandmothers middle name. It also happened to be my mothers middle name and one that has much family history. My first name I believe came from a soap opera, which is why there are so many Amandas my age.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

GRIP, Take 4

Motivational Monday: Conferences