NYLA Conference 2009

I attended my second library conference, the annual conference for the New York Libraries Association, over the weekend in Niagara Falls. I was able to volunteer, go to workshops and meet interesting librarians, students and vendors. I think that what I realized the most was that I still have so much to learn. Items such as insurance for the library, companies that move a libraries contents to another space and architects dedicated to libraries are all items we have not heard about in class.

I went to two workshops on Friday which made very interesting points for me to use in the future. The first was on ePortfolios and give me tips on where I can take blog in the future. The second was on public library certification in New York state and the new requirements that will be in place beginning 1 January 2010. Mainly, librarians will need to do 60 hours of continuing education/professional development every 5 years to keep their certification active. In my opinion this is a very reasonable amount of work, as the field is constantly changing and it is important that we stay up-to-date.

I also attended to cocktail receptions, one given by the New Members Round Table (NMRT) and another by Syracuse University. In my introduction to library and information professions class, we practiced and discussed "working a cocktail party," which came in very handy at the conference. I was able to talk with librarians and SU alumni and staff about the field, their jobs and their recommendations for students while in the program and even connected a fellow classmate with an internship possibility. The NMRT is always looking for volunteers and I plan on getting involved in the next year or so (as soon as my membership for ALA and NYLA goes through).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

Motivational Monday: Conferences

2016 in Review