Monday, October 12, 2009

The Librarian's Toolbox Conference

I attended my first library conference September 25, 2009. Hosted by the Upstate New York chapter of the Special Libraries Association, The Librarian’s Toolbox: Enhance Your Connectivity, Productivity, and Presence, gave me a great introduction to the conferences presented by the profession.

The day began with speed networking, which is akin to speed dating in that you get 5 minutes with another attendee in order to newtork. I met many fascinating librarians and the CEO of the SLA. Presentations followed on community outreach, LibGuides and other Library 2.0 features, what the SLA is currently doing to help members, and free web tools libraries can use such as Wordpress. My favorite new 2.0 tool is Prezi. Called the zooming presentation software, Prezi leaves powerpoint in the dust when it comes to presentations. I cannot wait for an opportunity to use it for class.

The conference gave a fantastic first impression to a new library student about the future of the profession, particularly with the changes the SLA is planning to make in the future to help information professionals. I was also pleased to find out how welcoming and helpful librarians are to students. During the networking opportunity, they all wanted to hear about my studies, offer advise and future assistance if it were ever needed. I look forward to getting more involved with the SLA during my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment

52 Ancestors: Angela Rosa Palmiero

Amy Johnson Crow at  No Story Too Small  began the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge in 2014.  I am playing along this year.  I wi...