Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Web 2.0/Library 2.0 Group Presentation

For my Information Resources: Users & Services class, our group presentation was on the context of user services. We decided to focus on Web 2.0 and Library 2.0, as that appears to be one of the proficiencies libraries will be looking for when we graduate. Rather than create a powerpoint presentation, we made a Wiki.

Our presentation was given using Web 2.0 tools such as Skype, Wiki’s,YouTube and GoodReads. The amount of Web 2.0 tools is ever increasing, making even our presentation, based on an article from 2009, close to being outdated. One reason I say this is that Wiki’s are slowly being replaced by LibGuides, which were not mentioned in the article, and that I found out by attending the Librarian’s Toolbox conference.

Research for this project proved interesting when I took the Second Life module and signed up for my avatar. The genealogy portion of Info Island was something I had heard about, but never seen before. Although I will never be an active Second Life user, the discussions available there may be something I use again. It was also amazing to me the amount of things schools and companies use Second Life for, from online classes to business meetings. I can see where it would be useful for librarians to have a presence if their school or company does.

The best part of the project was the discussion on the message board that followed for the next week. I feel message boards allow even the quietest student in class to share their viewpoint and everyone who participated learned and taught more about Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 By the end of the discussion, the professor, who had vowed never to get a Facebook profile, finally relented and took another step into Web 2.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment

52 Ancestors: Angela Rosa Palmiero

Amy Johnson Crow at  No Story Too Small  began the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge in 2014.  I am playing along this year.  I wi...