52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Week #6




Amy Coffin at the We Tree blog is challenging bloggers to become better genealogists, with a new prompt each week through her 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy:

Online databases at your public library. Search your library’s web site and see if your card grants you access to online databases. Libraries (even small ones) often have wonderful online tools including genealogy databases, historical newspapers and more! Take some time and play with these little perks that come with a library card. You just may get some help in your own genealogy research and gain some free research tools to boot. If you don’t know how to access online library databases or you’re not sure if your branch has them, ask a librarian for guidance. If you have a blog, discuss which databases (if any) to which your library subscribes.

Online databases are one of my favorite things my library offers.  My library breaks them down by topic, so I often look in genealogy, but make sure to look under other headings, too, such as newspapers and biographies.

 From home, I can access:
  • HeritageQuest
  • Newbank (which has the Buffalo News from 1989 - present, the most complete I have found online)
  • NewspaperArchive - National
  • Gale Newspapers
  • American National Biographies
  • Gale Biography Resource Center
  • Reference USA
At the library, I can access:
  • Ancestry
My mother has access to:
  • Sanborn Maps of New York 1867-1970
I hope one day they will get Footnote!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

GRIP, Take 4

Motivational Monday: Conferences