My Happy Day at the FHC

Yesterday I had a very productive day at the Family History Center.  My films on Knockholt, Kent, England parish records came in, allowing me to find baptism, marriage, burial, and even birth dates in some lucky cases on my ancestors and their families.

I was looking for a few specific items: the baptism of Emma Bond Hayman, her marriage to Charles Whitehead the of marriage of of her parents, Richard and Mary, and the burial date of her father Richard Bond.  I was hopeful that I would find Mary's, maiden name, as well.

I was very surprised when I found out that Richard Bond 21 Feb 1841, as I had previously searched FreeBMD for his death certificate to no avail.  I searched again when I got home and found a Richard Bond, died Jan-Feb-Mar 1841 in the Bromley district of Kent.  I had done some research and knew Knockholt was in Sevenoaks district, except that I missed the part that said it was placed in Sevenoaks in 1969... oops.  Prior to that it had been placed in Orpington and prior to that, it was in Bromley (from 1837 - 1934).  A good reminder to do as thorough historical research of the towns my ancestors are from as I do for my genealogy research.

Although I did not see Richard and Mary Bonds marriage record, I did find baptismal records for their 14 children, including my direct ancestor Emma's birth date as well (15 May 1811, christened 9 Jun 1811) - thank you to the overzealous minister who wrote in both!  I also found many burial and marriage records.  I now have a lot of records on order from the GRO, which I hope will arrive in the next two weeks and may give me Mary's maiden name.  From there I will go back to the films to fill in my research.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

GRIP, Take 4

Motivational Monday: Conferences