52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Week #20

Amy Coffin at the We Tree blog is challenging bloggers to become better genealogists, with a new prompt each week through her 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy:

Week 20: Play with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Government Land Office (GLO) Federal Land  Records web page. This is a great resource. Your task this week is to explore the land patents and land surveys sections. Input some search terms and see what pops up. Don’t be afraid to click links and see what happens. You’ll be surprised by what you find. Genealogy blog authors can share what they find from this site on their blogs.

I have never been to this site before.  There are no land patents for NY, so I searched the surveys for Erie Country, New York and looked at the one result of the Cattaraugus Indian Reservation.  The image is pretty cool.  I remember when I worked at a real estate law firm I always liked looking at the survey and trying to figure out where the house or land was located in our town.  This weeks challenge reminded me of my goal to work with deeds and other land records, as I have never done so for genealogy.  Hopefully I will be able to do that in July in Buffalo.

Comments

  1. Hope all goes well for you. I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for playing along with the challenge. Glad you found this one useful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

Motivational Monday: Conferences

2016 in Review