Fantastic Find Friday: Microsoft OneNote

I have a problem when it comes to my research log.  Well... logs...  I have started and stopped over a dozen research logs over the past couple years.  I will find this great form/excel sheet/word document set-up/family tree software idea, do it for a couple weeks or months and then stop.  I know I am not alone in this...

Needless to say I was thrilled to see How Do You Take Notes? On We Tree, by the amazing genealogist Amy Coffin (who is also a librarian:-))  Kelly, who's blogger profile is not yet activated, and Elyse Doerflinger, an amazing genealogist & blogger, both recommended Microsoft One Note.

Lucky for me, that is one of the programs I can download free from SU as an iSchool student.  Well, I downloaded it and the rest is history.  I am OBSESSED and use it for everything.  Sick of having a million little Word documents?  Make a new OneNote tab.  Forget to cite where you copied something from online?  No worries, OneNote does it AUTOMATICALLY when you paste something into it.

If you can find a copy of it or have this program already - I highly recommend you check it out.  It makes research logs so easy, particularly with the automatic pasting of the URL.  It is also an easy place to keep things such as research for school, projects for work or volunteer organizations, to-do lists, exercise logs.  Anything you could want is located in it under different tabs.  Easy, organized and you can add fun colors;-)

Comments

  1. Thank you for the shout out and I'm glad my blog post as able to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about OneNote!! I just got a new laptop and OneNote is on here. I didn't think I would use it but holy cow! I started a research log in there and I love it! Now I just need time to really fill it out and use it. Highly recommend this to anyone needing to become better organized in their research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] MS Office I purchased. Never having heard of it, I tried it out. It is amazing. Read Amanda’s blog post for more information on it. Give it a try and I think you will love it as a research tracking tool. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using OneNote for work and personal projects for several years and would be lost without it! You can print a web page to a file (similar to printing as an Adobe pdf file). For web pages that don't permit a print screen, you can select Insert > Screen Clipping.

    If you take a screen clipping, you can also "Convert graphic to text" for ease in searching.

    Now that I'm doing my genealogy research on two computers, my OneNote genealogy notebook is located on my 250g portable drive, so I can use it between computers.

    My biggest problem? Getting all of those Unfiled Notes into the proper folder - just like with paper! But I'd much rather use OneNote than paper files anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use onenote and similar programs at work but never thought about using it for genealogy. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope it works for you for genealogy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo I never thought to put it on my hard drive to carry it around - thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I'm so glad it's working for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good information about One Note. I have been exiting it in my tray not sure what it was. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

Motivational Monday: Conferences

2016 in Review