Aunt Beulah's Coffee Cake

This post is for the 100th edition of the Carnival of Genealogy.

[caption id="attachment_645" align="aligncenter" width="205" caption="Beulah Gress Hoppel"]Beulah Gress Hoppel[/caption]

Every family has one, that amazing recipe that gets made over and over.  For my family it is my Great-Great Aunt Beulah Gress Hoppel's recipe for coffee cake.  I recall helping my mom make it as a child, being allowed to grind the walnuts in the hand grinder or beat the dough.  We only make it for major holidays: Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  On Easter we always had to make a few of them, as my mom hosts brunch every year and this is one of the favorite dishes.  It is the most delicious breakfast treat, especially with some butter on the side.

This is the version of the recipe my mom gave me:

From the Kitchen of Mom from Aunt Beulah

Recipe for Cinnamon and Nut Coffee Cake

Mix well in a large bowl:

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/2 cup margarine or butter

  • 1/2 pint sour cream

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

  • 2 cups flour


Combine in a small bowl or measuring cup:

  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon


Oven Temp: 350 degrees

Grease and flour or "spray" [we use Pam] top and sides of a funnel tin.  Pour 1/2 of the batter in bottom of funnel tin.  Put 1/2 of the cinnamon mixture on top of batter in funnel tin.  Pour remainder of the batter into funnel tin.  Add remainder of the cinnamon mixture on top.

Bake 40 minutes or until tester comes out clean.  Cool and remove from pan.  Enjoy!

Serves: depends on the family that is there.

Comments

  1. I love the fact that there's a recipe that survived for so long in your family. It sounds delicious and I'll definitely give it a try sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is my grandmother's recipe- word for word! My grandmother was born in Beverly, Massachusetts in 1905, and my mom says that her mother made it, too (our great grandmother). Our family has lived in this same town for 300 years. Is your ancestor, Beulah, from this region? What an interesting coincidence. By the way, I make it year round, but at Christmas I make it with red and green marischino cherries on top. It's my daughter's FAVORITE Christmas goody. She has her first apartment and just asked me for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

GRIP, Take 4

Motivational Monday: Conferences