Election Day 2010

It is time for the midterm elections once again.  I woke up bright and early this morning to drop Aaron off at his election inspector site at 5:30am.  Like many other New Yorkers, I could not help but smile at the "Rent is 2 Damn High" party listed on my ballot.

As a blogging prompt, Thomas MacEntree of the GeneaBloggerssaid "Today, November 2, 2010 is Election Day here in the United States with many local and national contests. Think about how voting and the right to vote has factored into your family history.  Or have any of your ancestors run for office whether it be local dog catcher or perhaps even President of the United States."

[caption id="attachment_604" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="Robert Casell Entering Alden Town Hall as Supervisor"]Robert Casell Entering Town Hall as Supervisor[/caption]

My grandfather, Robert Casell, was supervisor of the town of Alden for multiple terms in the 1970's. I was once listed in his campaign brochure as his first grandchild due in November.  I am told he ran fair campaigns, refusing to stoop down to the mud-slinging level that is so prevalent in politics today.  It was also impressive that he was elected as a Democrat in a very Republican leaning town.  As supervisor he built a senior center and a town hall (see above picture), among other things.  One of the reasons I was a political science major in college was hearing the stories and seeing the pictures of my grandfather and my other very politically active family members.  I was thrilled when my first time voting was for the 2000 Presidential election.  If you have not yet gone to vote, remember to take your kids with you and, also,  to talk about politics with them in an age appropriate manner.  Doing so will help raise a civically conscious and engaged generation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

GRIP, Take 4

Motivational Monday: Conferences