Fearless Females: Favorite Female Ancestor

In honor of National Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month.

March 1 — Do you have a favorite female ancestor? One you are drawn to or want to learn more about? Write down some key facts you have already learned or what you would like to learn and outline your goals and potential sources you plan to check.

I don't know that I have a favorite female ancestor, but I do have those female ancestors that I always seem to go back to when writing posts or thinking about my family tree.

The top 2 would be Lillian Eichhorn Casell, my great-grandmother, who I wrote about here.  The other would be my great-great grandmother, Anna May Sanderson Whitehead.

Anna May is the catalyst to my becoming a genealogist.  Long story short, she was probably born Elizabeth Ann Sanderson, married, left her husband and family to marry my great-great grandfather, moved to Buffalo and never returned to her family in Canada.  Many years ago my grandmother was contacted by a possibly-very-distant relative about this mystery and I thought it was fascinating.  After this, I started researching, on and off, through my teenage years and college, the story of my family.  Anna May will probably always be the biggest mystery to my search, though I am planning my proof argument for ProGen to be about her.  I will post that when the assignment is due in a few months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

Motivational Monday: Conferences

2016 in Review