Saturday, May 12, 2012

NGS 2012: Day 3, PM

 

2012_NGS_Official_Blogger_Logo

My first session of the afternoon on Friday was Making the DNA Connection by John Pereira of Ancestry.com.  This was a discussion on Ancestry’s new DNA test.  It looks interesting, but I really need to do more research before making a DNA test purchase.  There is a waitlist for this test and it is available only to members of Ancestry.com

My last session for today was Rum, Romanism, and Rebellion: Catholic Church Records by Dave Schroeder.  Having recently begun searching for my father’s side of the family and my husband’s mother’s family, Catholic Church records are going to be tremendously important.  I was pleasantly surprised by all of the information available on the records and that records are available beginning in the last 1800s.  Check with diocese archivists to see if records are available.  And remember, a small donation to the church never hurts.

After the session was over, we headed to dinner where I gave a brief beginning genealogy lesson to the server, who was interested in using the family history search as a bonding tool with her mom (she was college age).  I hope she decides to start this research.  After a full day of genealogy, I ended it with the latest episode of Who Do You Think You Are? and searching the British National Archives site for probate records.

No comments:

Post a Comment

52 Ancestors: Angela Rosa Palmiero

Amy Johnson Crow at  No Story Too Small  began the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge in 2014.  I am playing along this year.  I wi...