GRIP: Final Thoughts

Turquoise-banner-with-gray2-copyAfter a weekend to decompress from GRIP, I wanted to put my thoughts in order.

  • Are Institutes Worth the Cost and Time:  Beyond a doubt.  In fact, I can’t wait to go back next year and am contemplating adding SLIG to my January plans.  Institutes are a great way to look in depth at a topic that a typical lecture cannot do.  Cost-wise, GRIP is an amazing deal.  For under $700, I received one week of lectures, syllabus, room, board and an awesome polo shirt.  This is probably one of the best values available in genealogical education.
  • The Best Part of GRIP:  The people, just like at conferences.  I met so many interesting people in class, at meals and as a roommate.  The coursework is great, but the people you meet are even better.
  • What to do Next: Write research plans, order FHL microfilm and search the German newspapers of Buffalo.  I also want to practice reading Gothic Script.
  • Adding on a Research Trip: Always a great idea if you can do it.  Since I was driving past Eden, NY, where my Gress ancestors settled from Germany, I stopped by the library.  They had a three volume history of Eden which included a few pages on the German migration there (apparently, most came from the Alsace-Lorraine region) and on which churches the German immigrants went to.  I now have a much more specific list of churches to contact and great information for writing an immigrant profile.
  • Which Course Next Year:  Can I take them all?  Next year’s courses are:
    • Intermediate Genealogy: Tools for Digging Deeper with Paula Stewart-Warren
    • Skills for Proof with Dr. Thomas W. Jones
    • Bridging the 1780-1840 Gap: From New England to the Midwest with D. Joshua Taylor
    • Military Records: From Cradle to Grave with Craig R. Scott
    • Your Immigrant Ancestors’ Stories: Writing a Quality Narrative with John P. Colletta
    • Advanced Research Tools: Land Records with Rick and Pam Sayre
    As you can see, these are some fantastic courses!  I’m leaning toward the Immigrant Ancestor’s Stories or Land Records, but it is going to be a tough choice.  Hopefully, I will see you there!

Comments

  1. Thanks for this great series on your experiences in John Humphrey's class at GRIP, Amanda. I too was at GRIP, in a different class, but had hoped to take John's class at a future institute. I'm so sorry that I will never have that chance now. I really appreciate the highlights that you shared here.

    I agree that institutes are well worth the time and money, and that GRIP is a great value. Hope to see you there next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I conceive this website holds some rattling fantastic info for everyone. "The foundation of every state is the education of its youth." by Diogenes. Thomas Sabo Charms at any time to buy a product is your first choice http://www.xiexiaofeng.net/Review.asp?NewsID=618

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

Motivational Monday: Conferences

GRIP, Take 4