The Book of Me, Written by You-Prompt 2 “Welcome to the World”

This is a new project to help genealogist write about themselves for future family.  This was developed by Julie Goucher of Anglers Rest and you can find out more about it here.  There is a new prompt each week.  I’m currently playing catch-up, as it started about a month ago.

Prompt 2: Your birth. . . Do you have any baby photos?  Where were you born?  Who was present at your birth?  Dimensions?  What day was it?  Time?  Did you have hair?  Eye color?  Are you a twin?

003

1 Day Old

My favorite story about my birth is the one my dad tells, where on the way to taking my mom to the hospital when she was in labor he stopped at Ted’s for a hotdog.  My mom has neither confirmed nor denied this story, but I always thought it was funny.

 001

With Dad

I was due on Thanksgiving and my great aunt Marilyn told my mom to name me Tom Turkey if I was a boy.  I didn’t arrive as scheduled, though, and the OB planned to evict me 10 December.  Even in utero I didn’t like being told what to do, so my mom went into labor on 9 December and I was born at 2:13 pm at Sister’s Hospital in Buffalo via a cesarean birth.  Back then women were under anesthesia for c-sections and fathers were in the hospital waiting room, however my family knew one of the nurses and she said I came out screaming.  Others have said that I’ve never stopped. 

002

With Mom

I was 5 pounds, 13 ounces and the first child for my parents and first grandchild on both sides.  This means I have lots of photos (at least lots in 1981 standards), a filled in baby book and all those things firstborns tend to get.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

GRIP, Take 4

Motivational Monday: Conferences