Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Toward 2014

Thank you to my friend RL for posting this on FB today.

Last month in my ProGen course we made a list of our clients and time-sucks.  Who or what was most important in our life and what was keeping us from it.  I made my list of my "clients", starting with family and friends, then work, followed by education/professional development and hobbies such as traveling, reading and genealogy.  Finally, at the end of the list, I added myself.  An afterthought, really, and, as a new mother with a new job and not enough hours in the day or energy to make the most of them, I realized that that is how I have been treating myself, the most important "client" I have.

I have never been one for New Year's resolutions; I instead prefer to pick a word for the year, such as explore or renew.  I think I first read about this in The Happiness Project and over the past few years it has provided a focus that a resolution cannot.  This year, based on the above paragraph, it seems like the obvious choice would be "balance" and yet that does not resonate within me.  I'm not a believer in balance, particularly not when life is being lived in such a fierce way.  My baby is growing up quicker then I imagined possible.  I have gotten onto the career path that I have been working towards for many years now and one I want to dive into as much as possible.  Yet at the same time, I want to remember it, to notice it, to stop worrying once in a while and just be.

As such, 2014 shall be the year of "Savor".  To me, savor means taking the best of what is offered and enjoying it to the fullest.  I cannot do everything and be everywhere, no matter how hard I try, but I can say yes to those things that most interest me and then revel in them, for these truly are the days.


1 comment:

  1. ...savor...a great word to live by...happy new year my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete