Thursday, March 26, 2015
What is more thrifty than free? Canvas Network is currently hosting RootsMOOC: Intro to Genealogy and Family History Research, a free massive open, online course for beginning genealogists. I'm a big fan of refresher courses, so I signed up. It is being taught by librarians at the State Library of North Carolina.
It is currently in the introduction week, but there is already a great surname list and a lot of discussion. Hope to see you there!
Sunday, March 15, 2015
RIP Uncle Brian
9 Feb 1965 - 4 Mar 2015
Published in the Buffalo News on Mar. 8, 2015
For this week's mission (should you decide to accept it), I challenge you to:
- What day of the week was your Grandmother born (either one)? Tell us how you found out.
- What event was a headline in the newspapers on that date? Tell us how you found out.
- What has happened in recorded history on your Grandmother's birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
- What famous people have been born on your Grandmother's birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
- Put your responses in your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.
1. I'm going to skip back a generation, to one of my great-grandmothers, Lillian Eichhorn, who was born 22 December 1908 in Buffalo, Erie, New York, to William Eichhorn and Augusta Tross. According to the calendar in Legacy Family Tree, was a Tuesday.
2. "Reforms in the Navy Begun" from The Sun (New York City). I couldn't find an online scan from a paper for Buffalo for this day.
Found at Chronicling America
3. Historical events on 22 December:
- 1807 - The U.S. Congress passed the Embargo Act, designed to force peace between Britain and France by cutting off all trade with Europe
- 1895 - German physicist Wilhelm Röntgen made the first X-ray, of his wife's hand.
- 1910 - U.S. Postal savings stamps were issued for the first time. They were discontinued in 1914.
- 1943 - Sporting goods manufacturers received permission to use synthetic rubber for the core of baseballs.
- 2001 - Thirty Afghans, including two women, were sworn in as part of the new interim government in Afghanistan. Hamid Karzai was the head of the post-Taliban government.
All found at On-this-day.com
4. Famous people born on 22 December:
- Giacomo Puccini 1858
- Lady Bird Johnson 1912
- Diane Sawyer 1945
- Ralph Fiennes 1962
- Meghan Trainor 1993 - Singer
All found at On-this-day.com
Amy Johnson Crow at No Story Too Small began the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge in 2014. I am playing along this year. I will be fo...
Over the past 6 months I have been getting back into my personal genealogy after a few year relative absence. Part of this started when I ...
I'm back at La Roche College outside Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for my 4th time at the Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh (GRI...
This past weekend my husband and I went with some friends to New Orleans. For us, it was an early anniversary trip to visit a city my h...