DNA Results: Ethnicity Estimate (Me)

I finally jumped into the DNA testing pool.  Ancestry had a great sale at the beginning of March and I bought a test for myself and for my husband.  My results arrived Wednesday and I have been playing around on the site trying to build my tree and my husband's as my results came in much faster than I had anticipated.


The first thing I looked at was my ethnicity estimate.  Unsurprisingly, my ethnicity is "very white."  33% Europe East would be Germany, France, Belgium, and Luxembourg.  18% Great Britain is mainly England, 17% Italy/Greece is just Italy for me. The 15% Scandinavia surprised me until I read that people with German ancestors can show up as Scandinavian ancestry in this test.  11% Europe East is Poland and the trace regions are 3% Ireland and 2% Iberian Peninsula.  The less than 1% West Asia is in the Middle East and I'm guessing has to do with my Italian ancestors going further back.

The ethnicity estimate is what I expected and most of it can be figured out easily from the research I've done.  This is still a really cool map to have and I'm glad Ancestry gives out this information.

In my next post, I'll begin to discuss my matches in Ancestry and what I plan to do with the data next.  Once my husband's results come in, I'll post those as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

GRIP, Take 4

Motivational Monday: Conferences