Thursday, March 26, 2015
What is more thrifty than free? Canvas Network is currently hosting RootsMOOC: Intro to Genealogy and Family History Research, a free massive open, online course for beginning genealogists. I'm a big fan of refresher courses, so I signed up. It is being taught by librarians at the State Library of North Carolina.
It is currently in the introduction week, but there is already a great surname list and a lot of discussion. Hope to see you there!
Sunday, March 15, 2015
RIP Uncle Brian
9 Feb 1965 - 4 Mar 2015
Published in the Buffalo News on Mar. 8, 2015
For this week's mission (should you decide to accept it), I challenge you to:
- What day of the week was your Grandmother born (either one)? Tell us how you found out.
- What event was a headline in the newspapers on that date? Tell us how you found out.
- What has happened in recorded history on your Grandmother's birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
- What famous people have been born on your Grandmother's birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
- Put your responses in your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.
1. I'm going to skip back a generation, to one of my great-grandmothers, Lillian Eichhorn, who was born 22 December 1908 in Buffalo, Erie, New York, to William Eichhorn and Augusta Tross. According to the calendar in Legacy Family Tree, was a Tuesday.
2. "Reforms in the Navy Begun" from The Sun (New York City). I couldn't find an online scan from a paper for Buffalo for this day.
Found at Chronicling America
3. Historical events on 22 December:
- 1807 - The U.S. Congress passed the Embargo Act, designed to force peace between Britain and France by cutting off all trade with Europe
- 1895 - German physicist Wilhelm Röntgen made the first X-ray, of his wife's hand.
- 1910 - U.S. Postal savings stamps were issued for the first time. They were discontinued in 1914.
- 1943 - Sporting goods manufacturers received permission to use synthetic rubber for the core of baseballs.
- 2001 - Thirty Afghans, including two women, were sworn in as part of the new interim government in Afghanistan. Hamid Karzai was the head of the post-Taliban government.
All found at On-this-day.com
4. Famous people born on 22 December:
- Giacomo Puccini 1858
- Lady Bird Johnson 1912
- Diane Sawyer 1945
- Ralph Fiennes 1962
- Meghan Trainor 1993 - Singer
All found at On-this-day.com
Amy Johnson Crow at No Story Too Small began the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge in 2014. I am playing along this year. I wi...
Over the past 6 months I have been getting back into my personal genealogy after a few year relative absence. Part of this started when I ...
I'm back at La Roche College outside Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for my 4th time at the Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh (GRI...
Another year has come and come. Another year of not much posting, which I'd like to say will change this year, but we shall see. My a...