2016 in Review

Another year has come and come.  Another year of not much posting, which I'd like to say will change this year, but we shall see.  My annual review.

1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before? Visited my friend Wendy and her family at one of their deployment locations, which I've meant to do many times before.  I've now clicked off South Dakota, Iowa, and Nebraska from the states I've visited list.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I'm not a fan of resolutions; I much prefer a word of the year.  My word for 2016 was "connect" and I wanted to focus on connecting more with my family and friends and with myself, particularly in terms of my health and my hobbies  I did pretty well with this, visiting friends like Wendy and Tom and going on a birthday trip with Rachel & friends, as well as seeing friends and family pretty frequently locally.  It wasn't perfect, there were some people I didn't see nearly enough, but all in all it was a good year of connection.  I kind of forgot about the my hobbies part, but that's okay.  In fact, my 2017 word, "Compass," is all about focusing on what I want to do and how to get there.  My focus will be three-fold: Only say yes to doing things that are moving me forward in my plans for work and hobbies, travel with intention, particularly making sure to continue giving Julian lots of new experiences, and, three, keep moving, focusing on a consistent exercise plan.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? So many babies this year.  Welcome to the world Liam, Aubrey, Hunter, Landon, and Christopher!

4. Did anyone close to you die? Though no one directly related to me died this year, I had a few friends and family members lose their parents.

5. What places did you visit? New York City three times, South Dakota (with side trips to Iowa and Nebraska), a conference in Atlanta, Kingston, Ontario, Toronto and Niagara Falls.  We also spent lots of time around Central and Western New York and visited friends in Oneonta.

6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?   I'm keeping part of the same answer as last year: a trip abroad.

7. What dates from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? November 8th, Election Day. July 4th, when Julian decided to start using the potty.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?   Speaking at a national conference.

9. What was your biggest failure? I'm not sure I had anything I would count as a big failure; life is a learning experience.  I was rather sad when my Kris Kringle cookie dough didn't blend properly.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? An ear infection and a stomach bug.

11. What was the best thing you bought? Paying off my car and one student loan.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? I was incredibly impressed by how strong my friends and family are, dealing with preemies, losing their parents, medical stuff, job loss, and all the hard things life brings.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Pretty much all things election related.

14. Where did most of your money go? Paying off debt.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Julian getting into Montessori school.

16. What songs will always remind you of 2016? Anything by Laurie Berkner, but particularly Julian singing "I Saw Three Ships."  "We are Golden" from Tom's show.  "Stay a Little Longer"  by Brothers Osborne and "Downtown Train" by Everything But The Girl

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Same
b) thinner or fatter? Same-ish
c) richer or poorer? Richer and in much less debt!

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Exercising.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying.  And following the news.

20. How did you spend Christmas in 2016? Christmas Eve with the Casells, and my dad and grandma. Christmas Day morning with mom/gramma/Chris and dinner with the Hendricks family.  Christmas with the Perrines to follow.

21. Did you fall in love in 2016? 6 years :-)

22. What was your favorite TV program? How I Met Your Mother as background noise.  The Crown as something new.

23. What did you do for your birthday in 2016? In the morning I had the legislative breakfast, then headed to Niagara Falls for the night, followed by a night in Toronto to see the Mystic Impressions exhibit at the AGO and northern Chinese food.

24. What was the best book you read? Fiction: I'm Thinking of Ending Things Non-fiction: Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End Book Club: Orphan Train.

25. What did you want and get? A trip to NYC

26. What did you want and not get? ***

27. What was your favorite film of this year? I don't think I saw any movies this year

28. Did you make some new friends this year? Yes, meeting great ladies in the Junior League :-)

29.
What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Focusing more on exercising.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016? Simplify.

31. What kept you sane? My family and friends.

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Bernie Sanders.

33. What political issue stirred you the most? The election and all that went with it.

34. Who did you miss? My Grandpa Acquard and Uncle Brian, like every year now.

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016. Fight for what you believe in and get out of your bubble.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

GRIP, Take 4

Motivational Monday: Conferences