Saturday, January 7, 2017

52 Ancestors: Alfredo Marco Casillo

Amy Johnson Crow at No Story Too Small began the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge in 2014.  I am playing along this year.  I will be following my mom’s pedigree chart to start.  In addition to writing these posts, I will be making sure everything I have on the specific individual is in both OneNote and Legacy, do any basic research needed for missing documents, and start research plans as needed.

Week one is my mom’s paternal grandfather, Alfredo Marco Casillo, also known as Alfred Macro Casell.Casell Alfred
Alfredo Marco Casillo and twin sister Angela Caterina (also known as Angelina) were born 28 June 1906 in Buffalo, Erie, New York to Marcantonio and Carolina (Izzo) Casillo.  They had one older sister, Amelia, and would have four younger siblings, Lucy, Clara, Roberto, and one who died young whose name I still need to find.

Alfred married Lillian Eichorn 11 July 1928, also in Buffalo.  They had four children, Beatrice, Robert (my grandfather), Alfred and James.  After Lillian died in 1938, Alfred placed his children in The Evangelical Lutheran St. John's Orphan Home for the next 9 years.

Alfred worked for the railroad, just like his father.  He had his name changed officially to Alfred Casell in 1941.  In his later years he became very involved with his church and was an elder for the Bremen Street Bible Students Church.

He died 25 January 1981 in Buffalo and was buried four days later in Acacia Park & Resthaven Memorial Gardens Cemetery, North Tonawanda, Niagara, New York.  The plot he is in belonged to his son Robert and is, unintentionally, within seeing distance of where is wife Lillian is buried (my grandfather was unaware of his mother’s burial location when he and my grandmother bought 4 plots together.in Acadia Cemetery).  His obituary was published 27 January 1981 in the Buffalo Courier-Express.

I am missing a few documents for Alfred: his death certificate (I need to bring the right documentation when I go to Buffalo), the 1910 federal census, the 1925 New York census, and a copy of his probate packet (will ask my mom to get next time she goes to the Clerk’s office.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

52 Ancestors: Angela Rosa Palmiero

Amy Johnson Crow at  No Story Too Small  began the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge in 2014.  I am playing along this year.  I wi...