52 Ancestors: Augusta Tross

Amy Johnson Crow at No Story Too Small began the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge in 2014.  I am playing along this year.  I will be following my mom’s pedigree chart to start.  In addition to writing these posts, I will be making sure everything I have on the specific individual is in both OneNote and Legacy, do any basic research needed for missing documents, and start research plans as needed.

Me > My Mom > Robert Casell > Lillian Eichorn > Augusta Tross

No picture for Augusta.  If anyone out there has one, please let me know.  I’d love to see it!

As my great-great grandparents go, Augusta is the one I need to do the most research on as far as birth and early life go.  I am relatively certain that Augusta M. Tross was born 6 September 1866 is Germany, probably in Eberstardt, the southern-most borough of Darmstadt in Hessen.  Her parents were Wenzel and Maria Elisa (Strassheim) Tross and she was the 8th of 9 children, though 3 of these children had died young.

Augusta left Hamburg, Germany 11 June 1884 with her mother and her five siblings, Balthasar, Elisa, Katharina, Heinrich, and Philip.  They had 3 pieces of baggage and arrived in New York City 13 days later on 24 June.  From there they headed to Buffalo, Erie, New York.

She married William Eichorn 14 June 1899 in Buffalo.   Their witnesses were his brother, Fred Eichhorn, and her sister, Katharina Tross.  They had six children, Kathryn V., Clara Evelyn, Marie A., Edna L., Lillian L., and William Tross, who was probably a bit of a surprise being born six years after Lillian in 1914.



Augusta died 1 January 1939.  The official cause was coronary thrombosis, though it was said she actually died of a broken heart after her daughter Lillian  died at the age of 29 a few weeks prior.  It was unfortunate that she wasn’t able to deal with her grief more effectively, as she was the last remaining grandparent to Lillian’s children, my grandfather and his siblings and with her help they probably would not have been put in an orphanage later that year.

Augusta was buried next to her husband, William, in the plot owned by their daughter Clara and Clara’s husband Friendly Amidon at Acacia Park Cemetery in North Tonawanda, Niagara, New York.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OneNote and Genealogy

Motivational Monday: Conferences

2016 in Review