Tuesday, April 12, 2011

New England Regional Genealogical Conference

I attended NERGC in Springfield, MA this weekend.  Unfortunately, my hotel did not have internet, so I have been slowly writing up posts on all the session I attended.

I cannot say enough about how wonderful the conference was.  This was my first genealogical conference and if others are this amazing, I picked the right hobby.  I was planning on attending the next conference (in 2013) even before this one was finished.  I was lucky enough to come home to an email that I won a free registration for 2013!  I cannot wait!  My biggest problem with the conference is that it's not annual.

The expo was a little bit too great... I ended up buying 4 books (all of which I, of course, needed;-)).  It was fun to see all the societies and genealogical resource companies.  Since I do not have ancestors from New England, many of these did not apply to me, but I have enjoyed reading through the society newsletters that were given away.

I will post one or two session/workshop summaries a day for the next couple weeks, linking back to this original post.

Workshops attended:

Thursday: Librarians' and Teachers' Day

Friday:

  • Two Chairs & A Pair of Spectacles: Discovering Your Ancestors in Probate Records: Marian Pierre-Louis

  • The Road Less Traveled: Polish & Ukrainian Research: Jonathon Shea, AG & Matthew Bielawa

  • Business Secrets of Professional Genealogists: We're Human Too!: Laura Prescott

  • Erie Canal Genealogy: The Peopling of Upstate NY & the Midwest: John Philip Colletta, Ph.D.

  • Effective Editing & Writing: Pamela Boyer Saytr, CG, CGL


Saturday:

  • Using Zotero, the Free Citation & Note Manager: Connie Reik

  • Italian Clusters & Chains for Genealogical Success: Shellee A. Morehead, Ph.D.

  • Where is Great-Grandma Hiding? Finding Forgotten Females: Sandra MacLean Clunies, CG

  • Workshop: Solving Genealogy Problems Using Deeds: An Advanced Deeds Workshop: Carol McCoy, Ph.D.

3 comments:

  1. New England Regional Genealogical Conference http://www.amandasathenaeum.com/new-england-regional-genealogical-conference/?utm_campaign=con

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I'm so glad you had a good time, and won registration for the next one in Manchester. I'm going to try for that one, it's 45 min. away!
    Enjoyed your report too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Canadian Ancestors

Happy Canada Day!  A few of my branches stopped in Canada on their way to Buffalo.  Below are the generation that came to Canada through th...