Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Fearless Females: Words of Wisdom

Once again, in honor of National Women’s History Month (http://www.nwhp.org/whm/history.php), Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog (http://www.theaccidentalgenealogist.com/) presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month

March 30 — Did you receive any advice or words of wisdom from your mother or another female ancestor?

When I first read this prompt, I thought of this wonderful song that I have been hearing on the radio a lot lately and which I completely agree with:



I was raised by my mother.  My grandma Casell was also in the house and helped raise my sister and I.  I was also lucky enough to have my aunt/Godmother Amy live with us for a couple years and then to be able to hang out with her often growing up.  As such, the main words of wisdom in my life are from them.  I also, of course, have words of wisdom from my Grandma Acquard, particularly one I was told within the past couple years that prominently sticks out in my mind.

From my mom: Be happy and make enough money that you don't need to worry if you can pay your bills.

From my Grandma Casell: Remember how you were treated as a child and then treat children how you wish you were treated.  You can read anything, don't worry about age group listings (in relation to a library book sale).

From my Aunt Amy: She never told me this directly, she told my Grandma, who told my mom and I overheard when I was about an early-teen.  She talked to her new boyfriend (now husband) all night and still had more to say.  That's when she knew he was the one.  It's also how I knew Aaron was.

From my Grandma Acquard: Kids think we had it (marriage) easy, that it just worked.  But it didn't.  It is hard, you fight, you have to work at it to stay together.

"You could say I'm a little bit crazy
You could call me insane
Walkin' 'round with all these whispers
Runnin' 'round here in my brain
I just can't help but hear 'em
Man, I can't avoid it

I hear voices
I hear voices...

Turns out I'm pretty dang lucky
For all that good advice
Those hard to find words of wisdom
Holed up here in my mind
And just when I've lost my way
Or I got to many choices

I hear voices
I hear voices all the time..."

1 comment:

  1. Simple Domains...

    [...]Fearless Females: Words of Wisdom | Amanda's Athenæum[...]...

    ReplyDelete

52 Ancestors: Angela Rosa Palmiero

Amy Johnson Crow at  No Story Too Small  began the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge in 2014.  I am playing along this year.  I wi...